Queen Mary University: Queens Building – East Elevation Repairs

Case study

Queen Mary University: Queens Building – East Elevation Repairs

To view our full range of case studies

Click here

Sykes & Son were appointed as Principal Contractor on this project to complete a programme of repairs and redecoration to the East Elevation of the Queens Building for Queen Mary University.

The Queens Building originated as the Queen's Hall of The People's Palace, which was opened by Queen Victoria in 1887. Nicknamed 'The Albert Hall of East London' it provided East Enders with educational, cultural and social activities. Rebuilt following a fire in 1931, the Peoples Palace was reopened in 1936 and operated until the 1950s when it was sold to Queen Mary University, forming part of the Mile End campus.

Today the building mainly accommodates administrative and support staff of the university, complete with some academic departments and teaching rooms.

Over the years, the external façade has been exposed to the harsh elements of the weather and environment and as part of the colleges long term maintenance programme, works were completed to revive its visual appearance as well as address roof leaks and defects. Works included stone and brick cleaning and repairs, repairs and replacement of damaged lead work, repairs to damaged window fittings and painting of all windows, rainwater pipes and gutters.

Second image

Third image

Examples of ‘one stop shop’ delivery

The case studies below are examples of 'one stop shop’ delivery.